Here’s a short list of things that make customer success complex, interesting and hard to get exactly right.
- Each customer is different and usually wants different results.
- Each customer usually has multiple stakeholders, each with their own priorities.
- Getting everyone in your customer success team on the same page is hard.
- Getting everyone in your company on the same page is even harder.
- Ensuring your path to value and supporting best practices are, as much as possible tailored not re-created.
- Understanding how to vary your delivery by segment, by stakeholder and by need.
- Ensuring everyone in your customer success team has the same understanding of how to deliver success for their customers.
- Ensuring everyone in your company understands the role they play in delivering customer success.
What holds all of this together?
- A focus on delivering outcomes, value and ROI.
- Codifying your best practices, your outcomes & value framework, and your approach to get customers to ROI.
- A plan to differentiate how you treat segments by #delivery: not by content, outcomes, value or ROI
- Building and maintaining your CS framework with your customer success team then sharing it widely across your company.